Data connectivity - Quickreportcan use any data component descended from the VCL
TDataset class. The abstract table component provides a means to access any data
that can be seen by Delphi or C++Builder while retaining all report features.
Report Designing - QuickReport
is a banded report generator written in Delphi.
Integrated very closely with Delphi and
C++Builder, reports are designed in the Delphi IDE, using the
IDE form designer as a report designer.
Output modes - reports may be sent directly to a printer, saved in document format for later
viewing, or saved as HTML, PDF, XML, CSV, XL, WMF or ASCII format. HTML and PDF may be streamed
for fileless output.
The Standard version of Quick Report 3 was distributed with Delphi
6 and 7 and C++Builder 6 as well as earlier versions of these
Quickreport Version History: 5 4 3
QuickReport Pro Version 5
QR5 is compatible with QR4 report designs, and existing applications will run without changes. Most of the visible changes affect previewing and exporting reports, with a few new options for band behaviour. Several new controls are introduced, including three that support double-byte characters.
Invisible changes include more defensive handling of network printers, and less interaction with printers and miscellaneos memory leak and logic fixes.
- Events to control and customise standard preview.
- Allow printing straight from the printer-setup button
- Option to set the default extension in preview. For instance PDF instead of QRP.
- Copy to clipboard' button on standard preview form.
- New property for printables - 'ExportAs' = ( etNumeric, etText, etFormula, etLabel ) for XL.
- It is possible to limit the number of pages in the preview, and a 'Cancel' button is added to the standard preview.
- Background colour for report.
- Childbands can print before, after or before and after their parent.
Alternative report viewer
Based on XML format, the new previewer has better rendering and search facilites, and supports drill-down and mouse events.
- Wild band. Print anytime you want.
- Controls with double-byte support, QRMBLabel, QRMBMemo and QRMBDbText.
- FrameLines control - extends vertical lines over page breaks.
- TQRShape has 2 new shapes, left and right diagonal lines.
The following controls from the QR PowerPack set are now included
Report element components:
- TQRPBand, TQRPChildBand: printing of this bands can be suppressed depending on a QuickReport expression
- TQRPLabel can print rotated text
- TQRPDBText can suppress printing of repeated values or of numerical fields with a value of zero
- TQRPExpr can print rotated expressions
- TQRPShape adds diagonal lines and triangles to QuickReport's TQRShape
- TQRPDBImage can print external image files whose file names are stored in a data field
- TQRPMemo allows embedding expressions in the memo text and individually suppressing blank lines
- TQRPRichtext allows embedding expressions in the RTF and individually suppressing blank lines
- TQRPGrid prints various styles of grids
- TQRPCheckbox prints various styles of checkboxes (even with custom bitmaps)
- TQRPExprCheckbox can print data aware TQRPCheckboxes
- TQRGridReport automatically creates a QuickReport form to print the content of a DBGrid as it is shown on the screen
- TQRStringgridReport automatically creates a QuickReport form to print the content of a TStringgrid as it is shown on the screen
New functions for QuickReport's expression evaluator:
- Abs returns the absolute value of the argument.
- CalcDate can be used to add or subtract days, months or years to or from a date
- CalcTime can be used to add or subtract hours, minutes or seconds to or from a given time
- Chr converts an ordinal (ASCII-) value to a character
- ColumnNo returns the current report column
- Currency gets the currency string according to Windows' country settings
- DayOfWeek returns the day of week for a given date
- DayString returns the name of a day according to Windows' current country settings
- DetailCount returns the number of detail records
- DetailNo gets the current record number
- ExtractDay returns only the day from a given date
- ExtractMonth returns only the month from a given date
- ExtractYear returns only the year from a given date
- FieldLen returns the size of a data field
- GetCaption gets the caption from another report component, e.g. the result of other TQRExpr components
- IsNull checks if a data field has been assigned a value; works with memo and blob fields
- MonthString returns the name of a month according to Windows' current country settings
- PadLeft fills up a string with spaces from the left
- PadRight fills up a string with spaces from the right
- QueryParam gets the value of a TQuery parameter
- ReadINI reads strings from any INI file
- ReadRegistry reads strings from the registry
- RecordCount gets the record number from a dataset
- ReformatDate formats a given date with Delphi's FormatDateTime function
- StrToNum converts a string to a number
- Trim removes leading and trailing blanks from a string
QRDesign is the end user report design component previously published by Timo Hartmann Software, will be included with each full and upgrade copy of QR5. Win32 versions for Delphi 7, 2006 and 2007 will be released first. We will then be releasing versions for C++ Builder 6, 2006 and 2007 depending on demand. QRDesign for use Quickreport 4 in Delphi 6, 7, 2005, 2006 and 2007 will also be available for QR5 users.
QuickReport Pro Version 4
QuickReport 4 Pro is based on version 3.6 and incorporates many
extensions and some new code. The documentation has been brought up
to date and republished as CHM.
Here is a summary of the changes -
- New standard preview Thumbnails and text search
- MemoryLimit property of TQRPrinterSettings allows
suppression of temporary files. Only if more memory is required
than set here will temporary files be created. The PDF and HTML
export filters do not create any temporary files. Advantageous for
server based applications.
- Extended printer settings
PrintQuality, Collate and Color options are now in the report
printer settings and the QRPrinterSetup dialog.
report upgrade allows exporting. TCompositeReport now has an
ExportToFilter method. It may only be used with the PDF, HTML XML
and XL filters at present.
- Frames and background exports
implemented. Band and control frames and backgrounds will be
- Export Filters can concatenate reports PDF, HTML
and XLS filters will take several reports.
- Direct print for
metafile. After a prepare or preview this method may be called to
send the saved report directly to the selected printer. Printer
settings are respected and take precedence over internal report
settings when possible.
- The code that sets the printer
options to match the internal report settings has been replaced.
- Abstract dataset (Table) A new control to solve all data
connection problems. You can design any report you like around any
set of fields you care to make up, then feed the data to the
fields in an event that is called when the dataset advances.
Reports behave exactly as with a normal dataset.
export filter. Outputs the document ( not the data) as a browser
viewable XML/XSLT document. A stylesheet for browser viewing is
- Transparent bands and background image property.
TQuickrep has a new property, that is the name of a QRImage
control placed on the report ( not on a band). The control remains
invisible but its bitmap is painted onto each page before any
other printing. Bands may be set to Transparent to stop them
over-painting the background.
- Improved expanded height
calculations ( Memo and RichText added) The routines that
calculate the expanded height of a band are extended, also bands
should now paint their correct expanded size. There is also an
option to stop bands breaking across pages, which previously
- RichText controls export to PDF, XML and HTML
as images. New code added.
- PDF filter allows TrueType fonts
to be embeded. Also the PDF export filter makes no temp files and
has a corresponding control which integrates with the preview.
- Smaller HTML exports, control on palette, PageLinkPrefix and
ImageLinkPrefix property. The HTML (Web) filter produces smaller
files, and has new properties to fix image linking difficulties,
and also to improve the page-to-page links.
- PDF, HTML and
XML filters on palette and in preview. Mentioned above, the
controls when put on a form, integrate into the preview save
QuickReport Version 3
Some of the features listed here are only available in QuickReport 3.5 or
3.6.2 Professional, not in QuickReport 3.0 Standard which ships
- Simple, intuitive user interface
- Full control of page layout
- Unlimited length Memos and Rich Text, can stretch over many
- Multithreaded with background printing (32 bit)
- Instant preview, don't wait for entire report to be generated
- Multiline text labels
- Composite reports, concatenate unlimited reports into one
- Easy and powerful grouping to unlimited levels
- Export report to other formats - PDF (prof v3.5 or v3.6.2
only), HTML, ASCII text and comma separated filter included
- Advanced expression evaluator
- Report builder classes creates reports from any datasource in
one line of code
- Zoom report in and out while working in the form designer
- Optional integrated compression of reports in memory and on
- Report expert creates simple list, master detail and mailing
- 18 components, including 10 different printable components
- Exceptional performance, specially on large reports. Prints
reports of unlimited length
- independent of available memory or disk space
- Preview and print any number of report simultaneously (MDI or
- Plug-in export filter class
- Plug-in printable component class, many 3rd party components
- Plug-in function library class for expression evaluator
- Multibyte enabled for Asian Windows versions (Delphi 3/4/5/6)
- Full source code included, 17000+ lines of object oriented
- Links directly into your EXE file, no extra files to
distribute. Delphi 5/6 packages also provided
- No royalties
- 3 day technical support feedback guaranty for professional
- Supported by Borland International tech support
As the name
implies QuickReport is fast! It's fast to use and fast to generate
and print reports. The small size of the product itself means
shorter load time and smaller distribution files for you.
QuickReport easily outperforms 'heavyweight' report generators like
Crystal Report and ReportSmith, even on complicated reports.
integrates so closely with Delphi and C++Builder that it can be hard
to tell where one ends and another one starts. You can design
reports visually within the familiar form designer by dropping
components, set properties and connect to any datasource. Add code
to event handlers to take special action or manipulate the content
of the report, enable and disable bands depending on data.
You will not have to deploy any external files since QuickReport
compiles right into your executable file. Delphi 5 users can also
choose to deploy the QuickReport package file to minimize disk and
memory use among applications. QuickReport 3 can be used in DLLs and
called from other development environments.
Delphi 3/4/5 users can benefit from even tighter integration,
allowing you to have reports as standalone modules in your project,
much like forms and datamodules. This makes it easier to access and
manage your application and takes less memory.
feature of QuickReport 3 is the open architecture. You can write
your own printable components, export filters, functions for the
expression evaluator (they automatically pop into the expression
builder!), or simply customize the behavior of the existing controls
by subclassing them.
Many third party add-on components are already available for
QuickReport 3. In our download area you will find evaluation
versions of several of them including TeeChart, a powerful
QuickReport compatible charting package.
With the bundle in Delphi and C++Builder QuickReport is the
product other component vendors are adapting their products to.
Expect to see a longer list of QuickReport compatible products in
documentation is available in MS Word and Acrobat format.
Most Delphi books include chapters on QuickReport.
There are no
royalties involved when using QuickReport in your applications. You
pay for the development tool and that's it.